Seattle Probate Litigation Lawyer
What is probate litigation?
The term "Probate Litigation" refers to the large range of conflicts that can arise when people disagree about their rights in respect to a deceased person's property, or in the deceased person's estate. Probate involves the process of testing the legal validity of a deceased individual's will, followed by resolving the claims of creditors and distributing the remainder of the estate to the heirs. Naturally, there is a great potential for disputes and disagreements during this period. It is an area of practice which is notorious for being both complex from a legal standpoint and for often being fraught with emotion on the part of those involved.
The law of inheritance has been among the most detailed and complicated legal subjects dating back to Roman times, given how much is at stake for those involved and the lengths to which litigants are frequently willing to go in order to safeguard their right to a share of the estate of a deceased loved one. Whether the potential inheritance is of a fortune or of heirlooms the value of which is primarily sentimental, each case deserves the committed advocacy of a dedicated Seattle probation litigation attorney.
Examples of the kinds of cases we handle include:
- Will contests regarding the terms of a will or challenging the legal validity of the document as a whole
- Allegations that the individual leaving the will was not legally competent at the time of execution of the document
- Disputes among the heirs in cases of intestate succession, when there is no will
- Challenges of an individual's status as a beneficiary or heir
- Cases where a surviving spouse or child who was not named in the will brings a claim against the estate
- Conflicts over the proper ownership of assets which were transferred into or out of the estate immediately prior to death
- Allegations of breach of fiduciary duty on the part of an estate administrator or executor
- Defending the estate against the claims of third parties, such as creditors
How can Ridgway Law Group, P.S. help you?
If you face one of the above situations, you will need an attorney experienced in probate law, even if you hope to avoid a lawsuit. At Ridgway Law Group, P.S. in Seattle, a substantial portion of our practice is devoted to probate litigation and to alternatives to litigation, such as mediation and other solutions as provided for under TEDRA. When you bring your case to us, we will take the time to answer all your questions about the situation and help you make informed legal decisions. We understand how difficult it may be for you to face this experience, particularly if it involves a heated dispute with a family member in the wake of the death of a loved one. Let us help you navigate the process and seek a resolution which favors your best interests. For a confidential consultation with our firm, contact us today.